Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue
Karen Kingsbury
333 pages paperback
2009

Because I had not yet read a novel by Karen Kingsbury, when I asked for assistance at the library at Houston’s First, I was shown the shelf of her many novels.  I chose Shades of Blue because of the subtitle, “sometimes hope lies somewhere in the…shades of blue”.  The story does offer hope and allows readers to really feel the situation of life lived without hope of a young teacher who ten years earlier made a decision where the consequences left deep scars and daily pain and a sense of unworthiness.  The story basically takes place over a three-day weekend at a North Carolina beach in present day.  And if you tried, you can picture the blues of where the water and the sky meet.  Restoring hope is offered.  Will it be accepted?  Will there be the kind of forgiveness and redemption that allows for full life to go forward?  If so, what does that look like for this teacher and her returning high school boyfriend (who at this time is engaged to another woman)? 
Karen Kingsbury does a good job with character development and through these characters she is able to bring about awareness of looking at circumstances from several viewpoints. This was a very fast read for me because in a way I felt drawn into these circumstances and I wanted to see how life would unfold for these new friends of mine.
After reading the book, I wondered if Karen Kingsbury was aiming at a particular audience.  Was she preaching to the choir so to speak, or trying to persuade young people to be careful in their choices or seeking to admonish older people how wise council and compassion is needed to help others?  I wonder, do most authors have particular readers in mind when they write?  I was surprised that at the end of the book, the author writes a letter to her readers sharing personal information that spurred her on in the writing of the novel.  I am unsure of whom to recommend this novel to, although I was thankful that I read it. I was even teary-eyed in a few places and yet at the same time glad that there was not a sequel, for the conclusion left a strong enough sense of closure.Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment