Friday, March 16, 2012

If... What do I know of Calvary Love?

If
What do I know of Calvary Love?
author: Amy Carmichael
70 pagers; paperback
1938

This small book is so dense with awareness on how life is to be lived according to the love Jesus showed at Calvary that it can not be taken in all at one time, but rather a few poems a day, poem after pondered poem.  I am thankful to Laura Smith for sending this treasure to me as it came in the mail just when I needed this type of reflection.

Amy Carmichael, missionary to India, wrote the poetry of this 70 page book mainly overnight when a fellow worker approached her with the sad situation of a younger one who was "missing the the way of Love", as she put it in the introduction of the book.  The majority of the book is made up of poetry which leads to introspective evaluation of one's own understanding of love and how that is lived out in life.  The part right after the poetry was most insightful to me.  I will type up the ending as it is not only a great conclusion but a great appetizer for what his book holds for anyone questioning Love.   And I have a feeling I will re-read If  What do I know of Calvary Love? again and again, if I am brave enough to do so.

Beloved, let us love.


Lord, what is love?

Love is that which inspired My life, and led Me to My cross, and held Me on My cross.  Love is that which will make it thy joy to lay down thy life for thy brethren.

Lord, evermore give me this love.

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after love, for they shall be filled.


Amen, Lord Jesus.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment